Sunday, April 15, 2012

What coat to bring for Christmastime in Paris?

I have a long wool coat (kindof heavy) and a ski parka (maybe too casual?) but I%26#39;ve heard a trench coat with zip out liner would work best for layering. I don%26#39;t want to spend all my travel budget to have the right clothes for Paris and I want to look nice but be warm and comfortable for all the walking and museum going. Any suggestions will be most appreciated. Also, are boots necessary? I would like to travel light.




|||



Boots are completely unnecessary since it hardly ever snows in Paris. However, you should plan on shoes that can get wet, as it often rains. A parka would immediately peg you as an American. Something with a zip-out liner is very practical, as the weather can change by 10 degrees or so from day to day. Parisians tend to keep indoor temperatures insufferably hot during the winter, so if you%26#39;re shopping or some such activity, you%26#39;ll probably be putting your coat on/off repeatedly. A scarf and gloves are essential because of the damp cold.




|||



%26gt;%26gt;%26gt;I%26#39;ve heard a trench coat with zip out liner would work best for layering%26lt;%26lt;%26lt;





December in Paris will probably be milder than December in Ogden. Odds are it will also be wetter (in terms that someone from the inter-mountain west can understand, melted snow falling from the sky). So a rain coat with zip-out liner will probably be your best all %26#39;round bet. But just to be on the safe side, pack your winter %26#39;..garments..%26#39; for layering. Boots really aren%26#39;t necessary but an extra pair of walking shoes may be a good idea, in the event yur primary walking shoes get wet and need to dry out. The other item that you should probably pack is a compact, folding umbrella. Parisian weather is the very definition of %26#39;..unpredictable..%26#39;.




|||



I%26#39;ve taken a wool coat to Paris and was sorry because it got wet and smelled like a dog. A leather coat was just not warm enough. The perfect solution was a trench coat with a zip out liner. You can get some really good deals at TJ Max or Ross Dress for Less. You needn%26#39;t spend alot of money. Be sure to take scarves to accessorize and for warmth. I carry a small umbrella, gloves, and since my ears get cold a knit hat comes in handy. I wear low topped boots in Paris because it can be wet.




|||



Thank you all-your advice is just what I was looking for! I can%26#39;t wait to go.




|||



I also got my London Fog rain coat at Marshalls (owned by Ross now). It has a zip out liner so if you find it too hot going in and out you can zip it out.





When you sit on the Metro the long coat drags on the floor make sure you pick it up! It can get very wet and very dirty! (Just a little warning.)





If you can also get one of the rainproof knit scarfs made by %26quot;Isotoner%26quot;, those work great! Especially when it is windy and umbrellas are turning inside out!




|||



don%26#39;t bring the coat, go to ZARA or GAP and buy what you need. it%26#39;s cheap and good quality and everywhere in paris.




|||



I%26#39;d say BRING your trenchcoat. Who wants to spend valuable time looking for one once you get to Paris?




|||



Sad sad sad




|||



why sad ?




|||



ScottishFemale....I%26#39;m curious too. What%26#39;s sad??

No comments:

Post a Comment