Thursday, April 12, 2012

Anyone knows about Euro Train pass

Hi, I%26#39;ll be travelling in Paris in early Nov., wondering what kind of Euro rail pass I should purchase before heading out, because I%26#39;d like to cover some other countries in the mean time, like Netherlands, Germany, Spain..More of that, can any one suggest some should see cities in France? Proposed staying in France will be 6-7days , or maybe just spend all in Paris? It%26#39;s my first time there, really appreciate ur recommendation ..





Cheers,



Yunyun




|||



http://www.railpass.com/new/



If you go to this web site and you put in your trip iteneray they



will calculate what the best railpass is for you based upon your responses to the questions they ask.




|||



That%26#39;s the for website, that is very useful...btw, do I still need to make confirmation for the seat? Is there any extra charge for seat reservation ? I heard so..Thanks ! :-)




|||



Yes, there is an extra charge to make a seat reservation although the charge is minimal. I do not recall how much exactly(I do not recall paying more than 10E if that much). I did make seat reservations on the longer trains but some of the shorter trains I did not . When you check out the times for the train it will indicate if reservations are required.




|||



yunyun, you are talking at least a 4-countries pass. Are you backpacking using a youth pass? Happy wandering? Or you have some definitive places to visit within a time frame. If you do not have a schedule to catch, there is no need to reserve a seat on the TGV or Thalys.



Off my head there are more than a dozen cities in France that is worth a visit, beside umpteen castles, cathedrals and cemetries, not to mention vineyards and archeological sites (caves and roman ruins). So, what is your interest?




|||



Thanks all for the information, I%26#39;m on backpacking, not yet have a detailed itinerary, but have narrowed the countries down to 3 or 4 ( France, Germany, Spain, NL maybe), just wondering what if I did not reserve a seat for the long sidtance trip by rail, would that be a problem, no sleeper? Anyone knows what is the practice for seat reservation, say need to reserve right before your departing or hours or 1 or 2 days? As for in Paris, how long do you think I should go for? Is 4-5 days enough for first time visiting? I%26#39;ll stay in Nice for 2-3 days before heading for Paris.




|||



BTW, any recommendation for hotel? Safe, clean and easy to access (close to Metro/subway or bus), family owned budgeted one would be OK..



Thanks .



Yunyun

No comments:

Post a Comment