Thursday, April 12, 2012

Itinerary Advice Wanted: Paris, Loire Valley & ???

I recently started planning a two week trip to France for my husband and I. We will be traveling March 29 - April 13, 2006. I am trying to narrow down our itinerary to three general areas. Hopefully that will give us time to experience different parts of the country without being too rushed.





We typically do not enjoy big cities for more than a few days, so we are planning on spending only 3-4 nights in Paris. The Loire Valley is also top on our list (for today at least -- the list changes everytime I buy another guide book or read another trip report). Other areas we have been considering include Burgundy, the Dordogne, the Lot, Provence... all sound wonderful. The options are bit overwhelming.





Since we will be traveling in April, would the timing make one area a better choice than another? I realize spring weather is hard to predict and a little cold weather would not put us off.





I have read posts that indicate some areas are not fully %26quot;open%26quot; this early in the year, as it is not the high season. On the other hand, I have also read that Easter is busy travel time in France (Easter is April 16 next year). I am not sure what to expect. It sounds like the major sites will all be open around Paris, what about other areas?





We plan on driving (except for Paris) and taking trains between areas, if needed. We enjoy wine, art, history, and outdoor activities such a hiking and biking -- though I am not sure if weather will permit much time outdoors.





Any thoughts or suggestions would be much appreciated.




|||



You shouldn%26#39;t have any problems with things not being open after April 1st. Prior to that, some places will be closed or operating on limited schedules. I know the areas around Bordeaux and the Dordogne %26amp; Lot fairly well, as well as the parts of the Loire near Tours.



If you%26#39;d like info on good B%26amp;B%26#39;s and places to visit, email me at diane@westwindtours.us.



The posting would be too long.




|||



Thanks, will do. Do you think I will run into any booking problems being so close to Easter? We were hoping to leave some nights open for flexibility once we get there.




|||



Being a real type A, I always ave bookings in hand before I leave, but you shouldn%26#39;t have problems your first week or so. One of the 3 areas of France begins school vacation on the 9th, so after that you may want to be prepared.



Also, if you want to use B%26amp;B%26#39;s (my favorite way to go), they usually only have 3-5 rooms. If you%26#39;re going to wait to book, have several names and places in mind in case the first are full. B%26amp;B%26#39;s in general want you to arrive in the late afternoon (5-6 pm), as many of the owners have other jobs during the day, so be sure to check.



Again, let me know if you want some names of good places we%26#39;ve stayed or visited..

No comments:

Post a Comment