Sunday, April 15, 2012

Just another hungry, pregnant vegetarian

Leaving for Paris in 6 days (Whoo-Hoo!) and have a quick question. I%26#39;ve researched the threads about pregnant women and French cheese (I%26#39;m 20 weeks pregnant with my first baby)but I haven%26#39;t read anything about French milk or cream based sauces and soups. Should I steer clear of certain foods?





Question number 2: Being a vegetarian, I eat lots of salads, vegetables, pasta, and soy and I know I have limited my dining options; though it%26#39;s been 3 years since my last visit, I remember the French diet being somewhat heavy with all different types of meat. Now that cheese is also out, does anyone have any suggestions or names of certain dishes that would be good for a pregnant vegetarian. I certainly don%26#39;t think I%26#39;ll go hungry, but I want to try to eat as balanced a diet as possible.




|||



Some cheeses in France are unpasturized, but they tend to be the artisanal ones that are more costly and many restaurants use the cheaper, pregnancy safe pasturized alternatives. Ask first and they should be able to tell you if it is safe or not.



It is hard to find raw milk, so that is not a problem.



Cream based dishes are unlikely to be a probllem, even if a rest. uses raw cream (unlikely, as it is also more costly) a cooked product is not usually a problem.



I must have no imagination, because I can%26#39;t think of anything French that is going to fit the bill and I lived here as a vegetarian for many years.



Search vegetarian restaurants and you should find a list of places, but you may end up eatting more fries and pasta than you would have liked.




|||



tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187147-i14-k20358…




|||



Just had a brain storm.



La Cigale Recamier is a souffle restaurant, so if you eat eggs you should be able to enjoy and excellent meal without any worries.




|||



whre is the place ?




|||



Try ethnic restos.......like Jewish.. falafals, Moroccon food..cous cous, Thai, Italian, Pizzas, Chinese or Indian food. Be careful with salads, a American friend who was pregnant was warned about salad greens, not sure why. I am also vegetarian and have been living in Paris........choices are limited for sure.


Goodluck and enjoy!!




|||



Thanks for all of your suggestions. I have dutifully printed them out and filed them for my trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment