Thursday, April 12, 2012

Paris par arrondissements

I have some friends heading to Paris soon, and I have recommended they get their hands on a Paris par Arrondissements/ A. Leconte Editeur.





Can you get those in the U.S.? I got mine in Paris...





What about a Falk plan of Paris? I%26#39;ve looked but I can%26#39;t find a supplier here.





Les




|||



It%26#39;s difficult to get the %26#39;Paris par Arrondissement%26#39; in the US - it isn%26#39;t in our bookstores; if you find it on the internet, the shipping cost will kill you. They are so easy to find, most any news kiosk in Paris will have them. Very handy pocket size.





I bought another version last month, %26quot;le Petit Parisien%26quot;- it%26#39;s unfortunately a bit bigger (purse size but not pocket size). I wanted it for the detailed bus route information. Each arrondissement has 3 maps; a street map, a metro map and a bus map. It shows the colored %26#39;paths%26#39; of the metro and the bus systems overlaid on the street map, so you can tell where the bus stops are. It was 10€. Published by the same as above (l%26#39;Indispensable).




|||



If you mean the little red-covered mapbook / guide, %26#39;..PLAN DE PARIS par Arrondissement et Communes de Banlieue..%26#39; I bought a copy several years ago at (of all places) a RENOVATION HARDWARE store in a shopping mall...but I can%26#39;t recall ever seeing it in the stacks at any of the mega-book stores (Borders, B%26amp;N, Walden) or on Amazon.com...nor at Libraire de France in NYC. Obviously the book is still in print but unlike Michelin and Editions l%26#39;Indispesable, doesn%26#39;t seem to have much in the way of US distribution.





Likewise the FALK CITY PLAN-Paris compact, folding map...but I have seen it offered on a few internet map sites





EDITIONS A LECONTE is still very much in the publishing business at 8-10 Ave. Henri Barbusse, Ivry-sur-Seine, 94208 e-mail: editions-leconte@wanadoo.fr



I just checked and they don%26#39;t appear to have an active web site.





Perhaps the most widely available mapbooks in Paris will be those from l%26#39;Indispensable---more often than not available at news kiosks.



L%26#39;INDISPENSABLE--



http://www.massin.fr/Catalogue.ArianeRCatalogue%20L%26#39;Indispensable.aspx?filtre=FAM%26amp;fam_ide=05





As excellent alternatives, try the MICHELIN #16 PARIS Atlas par arrondissement or one of the L%26#39;Indispensable mapbooks. and/or the STREETWISE PARIS compact folding map. Bot the Michelin and Streetwise maps will usually be readily available in US mega-bookstores and on-line. You best bet for L%26#39;Indispensable mapbooks in the US will probably be Amazon.com




|||



Alibris.com has four copies of Atlas Paris par Arrondissements by Pneu Michilin (firm) selling for $8.95 each. It%26#39;s a reputable bookstore which ships their books very promptly. I can recommend them from my personal experience. Probably by posting this information here Alibris will sell their four copies quickly!





The books are shipped from California. You can go to the Alibris site and see what the shipping charges will be for your location.




|||



Yeah, I remember seeing them at Restoration Hardware way back when...





I think I%26#39;ll offer them what I have (streetwise and my cherished %26quot;Par ARrondissement%26quot;) but suggest they get a par arr. in Paris for future trips...





Thanks!





Les




|||



I gave away my new Michelin #16 because the font was too small for me to read, even wearing my bifocals.




|||



%26gt;%26gt;%26gt;I gave away my new Michelin #16 because the font was too small for me to read, even wearing my bifocals%26lt;%26lt;%26lt;





While I have no difficulty reading the font(s) used in the Michelin maps (2.0 X in my bi-focals) I do occasionally have difficulty with tiny print and have added one of those pocket-sized, flat, plastic magnifier %26#39;cards%26#39; (about the size of a credit card) to my travel %26#39;kit%26#39;.




|||



I found one of those little magnifiers too... but the blue-cover %26quot;L%26#39;Indispensable%26quot; Paris par Arrondissement was perfect and I could read it fine %26#39;as is%26#39;. It doesn%26#39;t have the detailed bus info, but if a person thinks they%26#39;ll walk or take the metro, it is really great.

No comments:

Post a Comment