Thursday, April 12, 2012

Just got back from month trip to Europe including Paris...

Had an amazing trip visiting Paris, Italy and Prague. We rented a little studio in The Latin Quarter near St. Michele. It was fabulous I wouldn%26#39;t have stayed anywhere else. Lots to see, the best and affordable food. Saw all the big sights, took a fun bike tour to Giverny and Monet%26#39;s Gardens. Had lunch at Jules Verne. I worried about what to wear and shouldn%26#39;t have. People dressed more casually than I expected, I was actually a little overdressed. Lots of pashmina scarves and puma%26#39;s was what everyone was wearing. Parisians were much friendlier than I had heard. Oh and the nuttella and banana crepes are to die for!! I think I got one everyday! We had not a single problem with pickpockets or anybody trying to rip us off. Food etc. was more reasonably priced that we expected but then again we hung around the Latin Quarter alot. My favorite spots were the Bon Marche (spelling?) marketplace where we had a cheese tasting and the Ille St. Louis. Can%26#39;t wait to go back!!




|||



Welcome back, glad to know that you had a good time in your trip. How long did you spend in Paris? Would 3 days be enough to see major attractions? Can we rent a studio for three nights only, or it has to be a hotel? We will spend a week prior to our cruise between London and Paris, and am trying to figure out how many days we should spend in each. Thanks.




|||



Hi Paris -





Glad you had such a good time. Isn%26#39;t Paris wonderful?? We loved the Latin Quarter also and stayed at the corner of Rue St. Jacques and Rue St. Severin.





Tell me about your apartment? What street? Does it have a website?





Thanks!




|||



Never mind, Paris. You gave your VRBO apartment number in another post.




|||



How was it planning out that long of a trip? What was it like going to all those places? Did you preplan all those side trips? I think that would be great next time, a wider view of Eourpe.




|||



I have mixed feelings about our extended trip. It was a fabulous overview of everything I%26#39;ve ever wanted to see and I tried to stay in each city at least four days so we got a real feeling for it. All of the side trips we planned were great and the best part of the trip. I now really know the places that I%26#39;d like to go back to and spend more time. It was pretty overwhelming planning it all, especially since it was our first trip to Europe. And in every city I wasn%26#39;t as read up on it as I wanted to be just because there was so much to learn. But we were absolutely exhausted by week 3 even though we tried to take it easy some days. I%26#39;m also not the best traveler and all the moving (planes, trains, buses etc.)started to effect my stomach. And by Prague I was more than ready to come home and back to my doggies. But overall it was an amazing once in a lifetime trip I%26#39;ve been pouring over the 1400 pictures my husband took and reliving every minute.




|||



Oh, and yes, we did preplan all our side trips. Actually I was glad that I preplanned so much because once we were in a city, making plans for tours etc, calling phone numbers etc. was more complicated than I thought. Having plans when I got there made things so much easier and it usually ended up that if I hadn%26#39;t preplanned the trip or tour, it didn%26#39;t happen.




|||



I admire your wanting to go for a month but also sympathize re the fatigue and emotional drain.





The American travel writer Paul Theroux has said repeatedly that the only time he can travel is when he is happy, but it is when he is happy that he misses home, the routine, friends and pets the most.





I have found this true more than once in my traveling life - and combined with jet lag - it can be a bit of a downer for awhile.



I have also found it becomes more acute the longer one stays on the road.





3 weeks max is my limit (even for Asia, Africa or Oceania)...then come home and plan another another trip ;-)




|||



We stayed on St. Severin too above an Italian restarant that I can%26#39;t remember the name of. We were in Paris 6 nights and we still ran out time. You can rent a studio for just 3 nights (see my other post for the VRBO.com property number)but I%26#39;ll tell you, it probably won%26#39;t be enough. It should be enough to see the major sights though. I would recommend taking a walking tour to quickly get your bearings and see where you%26#39;d like to spend more time.

No comments:

Post a Comment