Thursday, March 29, 2012

Working/Studying in Paris or Nice..I need some advice..

Hello All,





I have been reading most of the posts regarding finding employment in Paris and it seems like it%26#39;s going to be a tough one for me. I expected that!!!





I was aware that rent is especailly expensive in Paris but that%26#39;s big city life.





I am currently enrolled in a French program with Alliance Francais , Toronto and i wanted to spend 1 yr working/continuing my studies in Paris. The Canadian government has an exchange program for youths (16-35yr) which invloves working and studying in France up to 12mths.





Are there any Canadians/anyone who have used this program? Is the process fairly straightforward?



How%26#39;s life in Paris? Should i look at working somewhere else in France? Nice? Southern France?



I don%26#39;t want a career whilst working in France, i just want to earn a little pocket change. Are bartending jobs, reception jobs easy to find?





I am 26yrs old and i will be travelling by myself.My goal is to be living in France by May 2007 whilst having some intentions of working and attending a French langauge school. Any recommendations? Many posts stated that Alliance was a waste of time....Anymore advice.





I really appreciate all the real life expereinces and i look forward to hearing from you veterans soon.





Much Thanks, Toronto girl 11




|||



If you come on a student visa, then you will have an easier time of it. There are plenty of Maid%26#39;s Rooms throughout the city and a small room/apartment is not impossible. When I was here as a student I would live in those rooms rent-free in exchange for babysitting or language lessons a few hours a week.





As for working, you can check out FUSAC (a magazine with a website) or drop by the American Church upon your arrival. There is also a Canada house, but I don%26#39;t kow if they have postings.





The advantage of the Alliance is that it makes the Student Visa paperwork easier, but this would be true for any accredited education program. The Sorbonne has an excellent program, which I believe is considerably more affordable, but it runs on an academic calendar, so you%26#39;d be looking at a Sept. or July arrival. ANd there is the American University which has interesting classes.




|||



Hey ,





Thanks so much for the information.Which one of the language schools would you recommend and why. I am currently enrolled in a French program with Alliance - Toronto because i would like to obtain a working knowledge of the lanuguage before my trip to France in 2007.



If i am on a student visa, can i still work? When i say work i mean little odds and ends jobs. I really appreciated your comment with regards to giving language sessions and babysitting in exchange for rent.





Any other pointers that may help me with assessing this move?



Where should i stay in Paris? 14?15?





Much Thanks,



TG11




|||



If that is of any help, i know a friend from Ecuador who came and settled in Paris as a student enrolled at the Sorbonne classes for foreigners. I am quite sure the classes are good, from September to January or/and from January to May or June i think. Not cheap but affordable




|||



-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:37 pm, October 25, 2005


|||



Hello Everyone,





Thanks again for all the feedback with regards to the different language schools in France. Much appreciated!





If you can think of any other pointers or advice you can give me please feel free to post.





Also, if anyone has moved from a different country to France i would love to chat with you regarding the %26quot;move.%26quot;







Best regards,



TG11

No comments:

Post a Comment