Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Hotel Eber Mars - a mistake?

I booked two rooms at the Hotel Eber Mars in the 7th for our trip in November. Based on their website and the reviews I read at the time I booked, it sounded great. Recently, however, I%26#39;ve seen quite a few reviews in cyberspace saying the rooms aren%26#39;t so great - one compared it to a YWCA! Though all said how fabulous the staff is. Think I should cancel and look somehwere else? I was only abel to find one review in Tripadvisor and it was good, but now I%26#39;m worried.....




|||



I have read negative comments in the past, but I%26#39;m sure I also read that the hotel was undergoing renovations a couple of years ago. Although Sandra Gustafson (%26quot;Great Sleeps Paris%26quot;) likes it to me I didn%26#39;t find what%26#39;s pictured on the website to be that charming.




|||



Hi, we stayed at the Eber Mars last month and found it to be a very good value for money.


The room was very clean and quiet but the decor could have had some updating. Try and request a room at the front of the hotel, I believe it would be brighter and you may have a view of the Eiffel Tower.


The location is excellent.


I think it really all depends on what your budget is and what is available. When we went we had very little to choose from so this was a god choice for us.




|||



Thanks for your feedback - after reading still more reviews and researching the forum here, we decided to cancel the Eber Mars and now have a reservation at the Hotel Henri IV Rive Gauche. I%26#39;m feeling MUCH better about this one, both becuase I couldn%26#39;t find a negative review of it, and because it%26#39;s so much more centralized to what we want to see while in Paris.



Only 4 weeks to go! :-)




|||



I don%26#39;t read about this Hotel Eber Mars on other forums. Unless others have posted positive feedback about this hotel I would not want to take the chance on it. The location and hotel itself wouldn%26#39;t warrant my going out of the way and take a chance to stay there either. The Hotel Henri IV Rive Gauche has been commented on favorably lately. It is in the heart of the Latin Qtr. as well so it%26#39;s in an excellent location. The owners own Hotel de Lutece on Ile St. Louis and that hotel is very well-run.




|||



I live down the street from the Hotel Eber Mars so here%26#39;s the deal: it used to be owned by an old couple for years and the place was decorated with an amazing collection of turn-of-the-century Eiffel Tower memorabilia. It was called the Hotel de Mars.





Then a few years ago, it was bought by a very nice man who runs it with his daughter (and maybe other family members) and only the ground floor was refurbished - modern, stylish, very nice view into the lobby from the street.





Unfortunately, the decorating budget did not extend to the rooms (although I am confident that some day those rooms will reflect the handsome lobby). So although the location is good, the breakfast is great, the Eiffel Tower views are stupendous and the prices are good, the room decor is very basic, ie, in need of renovation, the hotel is clean. This is a typical French old-fashioned family-owned hotel.





My mom loved her room (100 euros a night) because she could stand on the balcony and gaze at the beautiful Parisian buildings and the twinkling Eiffel Tower. Not every hotel has that option, so you live with the very basic decor! (Note that there are courtyard rooms slightly less expensive and that the owner cannot guarantee Eiffel Tower views during the busy season.)

No comments:

Post a Comment