Thursday, March 29, 2012

Three robbery attempts in 10 days

If you are going to France be prepared as never before. The subways are full of pickpockets ready to rob you getting on and off the subway as well as reaching in your pocket while you are riding. I caught one in my pocket and yelled out which caused him to jump off on the next stop.


The second and successful attempt was full on robbery in stopped traffic in Marseille. Motorcycle bandits opened the back door and grabbed a bag with camera, money, and travel documents.


The third was two juviniles in Paris pretending to play tag. One stopped in front of me and grinned to distract me while the other came in from behind. I knew what was happening, turned around causing them to run.


Where are the police? Certainly not where they should be.


I was warned by four people to be careful in France. I had no idea how bad it is. I suggest try another Country.




|||



All that you mentioned are listed on the US Consular Travel page of what to be aware of as well as new crime actions toward those traveling in motor homes, as well as ATM crimes. It is good to be informed before one goes to a foreign country of the current types of scam and crime activities that are being reported.





I would think it is unusual for one person to be targeted three times in 10 days. I am so sorry for your experiences. I can see how it would color your whole view of France.





You will find these activites in other countries also.





I was mugged and injured one in Paris during the winter on one of my trips there. The police were very helpful. I identified one of the two persons from photos. They showed me at least 90 pictures of criminals that work the area I was mugged in. I think most tourist don%26#39;t make reports because it takes time out of ones trip and they are not around long enough to go to court over it.





In the fall and winter there are less tourists, so the criminal element has fewer prey.





The only concilation is that you were not injured.




|||



We were recently in Paris for five nights (September 20-25). Since we are a family of six (mom, dad and four daughters ages 15, 13, 10 and 2) we were on heightened alert for any pickpockets. We never once had a problem the entire time we were there and we used the Metro and walked everywhere. I would have thought we would have been easy prey since were generally distracted by one or more of our children.





Perhaps it is just that we live in Los Angeles and travel extensively that we were somehow seen as not a target. We know how to carry ourselves, and we take every precaution to keep our valuables safe.





I just cannot figure out why in all our years of travel (mostly with at least one child in tow) that we have not been victims. I guess I just need to be thankful to God and carry on!

No comments:

Post a Comment