Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Le Grand Colbert- Touristy?

I know from reading this forum that it%26#39;s popular and was the setting for a scene in %26quot;Something%26#39;s got to give%26quot;... but is it too touristy now or worth a stop?




|||



Le Grand Colbert has been a %26#39;..destination..%26#39; restaurant in Paris for decades---for both tourists and locals. It has somehow managed to muddle through, in spite of its popularity...so I%26#39;m sure it can cope with the occasional Jack %26amp; Diana %26#39;wanna-bes%26#39;. The food is good, service is correct, the interior wonderfully %26#39;Belle Epoque%26#39;, the atmosphere convivial and the %26#39;experience%26#39; always worthwhile.




|||



There are dozens of restaurants/brasseries throughout Paris with equally nice turn of the century setting, standard brasserie food and professional service, but where you are not %26quot;greeted%26quot; by clippings of restaurant reviews in English and Japanese... and matching customers. Instead, I would try Marty (avenue des Gobelins), Le Zéphyr (rue du Jourdain), Le Bouillon Racine (rue Racine), etc.




|||



We just visited Le Grand Colbert in September. My husband and I both thought it was average food, though the brasserie is very nice. The crowd was mixed with American tourists and the French. If you%26#39;re in the area, stop. But, I wouldn%26#39;t recommend making a special trip. We found our favorite restaurants just asking the locals where they eat.




|||



WHY NOT? Unless you%26#39;re really pressed for time and can only pick one or two special places to eat, go! At least you can say %26quot;been there, done that%26quot;. That%26#39;s why my friends and I went and we weren%26#39;t disappointed at all. I could have done without the movie posters on the wall, but my friends and I all had a wonderful time. The food was good at a reasonable price and the staff friendly.




|||



I do go there from time to time just because I like this area (the place des victoires and the gallery Vivienne are near the restaurant and are worth a stop). This is quite typical of the old style brasseries... but the food is really average (and sometimes worse than that)... prices ar quite high (considering the food).




|||



My husband and I went a couple weeks ago. Sure, it may be touristy, but there were a number of locals as well. It was FUN...the service was great...food was good...and that%26#39;s all that matters, right?




|||



Le Grand Colbert is touristy but also frequented by a lot of French people.



It is a beautiful brasserie. Service and wait can be good or bad. Menu is more elaborate than needed. Stick to simple fares and of course their fresh (raw) seafood is always good.

No comments:

Post a Comment