Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Baggage Strike by Air France is scaring me ...



Hi, ... I%26#39;m flying to Paris from Toronto this weekend by Air France. This Baggage Strike by Air France employees is scaring me. I have read in this forum that people are still waiting to get their luggage back and some of them may have even lost all hope of getting them back at all.





I%26#39;ll stay in Paris for a couple of days and then flying to India. My luggage will only be checked in for Toronto to Paris. If I do not get my luggage back withing two days when I stay in Paris, how will I check-in my luggage for my trip from Paris to India.





I%26#39;m getting so worried about what I should do now?





Need your suggestions.





Sandy




|||



Its only connecting luggage that is the problem. Your luggage will be fine.




|||



Buy travel insurance that covers lost and delayed baggage.




|||



The baggage handlers work slow-down has evidently been in progress for a few months. And though there have been reports of lost or delayed baggage, most of then from inter-connecting flights, the overwhelming majority of passengers get through without even being aware of any problem.





You%26#39;ve got a couple of choices. If you%26#39;re that worried about your luggage being mis-handled by Air France, switch your flight reservations to another airline..or skip Paris altogether. Not gonna%26#39; happen, huh? Then pack light with of all of your possessions in Cabin Baggage allowable sized carry-ons..and don%26#39;t check ay luggage. That%26#39;s not gonna%26#39; happen either, is it? Then make certain that you pack all critical/important items in carry-ons, so that if something happens to your checked luggage, you can at least manage/cope. This is something you should be doin%26#39; anyway. The last possibility is to %26#39;..get over it...%26#39; The vast majority of baggae gets through just fine...without the least incident. Rather than fixating on the negative...take reasonable precautions..cards with your name and address in Paris as well as your home address in several places on/in each piece of checked baggage...and bet that you%26#39;ll be one of the great many, whose bags spill out on to the CDG luggage conveyor as usual.




|||



KDKSail - sage advice .. I love your common sense outlook on things - not just this one. Are you living in Paris year round?




|||



The news said yesterday that something is being done by the justice or officials, obliging them to start work again otherwise they could risk prison, i guess they are to going to start working again now!




|||



As I said before, Sandix is not effected by this strike. No need to pack light, no need to change airlines, no need to take action or worry. The strike is by a company called %26quot;Connecting Bag Services%26quot;. CDG has outsourced the work of moving connecting bags ONLY to this company. They do not handle bags who%26#39;s final destination or departure point is CDG. So as I stated before no need to worry.





As far as connecting flights are concerned, as Raphy correctly points out, the gov is stepping in to end the strike because of the security issues it poses. In the meantime 15,000 to 20,000 CONNECTING bags are stuck at CDG.




|||



Thank you all for the reassurances. I%26#39;m feeling alot better now that I know I don%26#39;t need travel with only carry on luggage. I like to do a little Christmas shopping in Paris.




|||



And my little 22%26quot; bag had a nice vacation at CDG and hopefully will be heading home soon!




|||



On 3 October i flew from Biarritz to Paris and then Paris to LAX. My bags still have not arrived and contained everything from a two week business trip. My Paris to LAX flight was on United so i agree it seems to be the connecting flights that are a problem, not flighta in which you are picking up luggage at CDG. One noteworthy thing though which reflects horribly on Air France.........United has sent over two dozen e-mails and voice mails to Air France baggage control this week regarding my bags has has not even recieved the common courtesy of a response. Not cool and as a 100K mile per year flyer Air France is now on my DO NOT FLY list.




|||



You should be a tad scared, my friends who fly to France alot,



call the airline, %26quot;Air Chance%26quot; she says they ALWAYS lose bags.



I will never fly again with them after my experience of still waiting 7 days and missing 5 fully loaded large suitcases

No comments:

Post a Comment