Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Paris or Barcleona??

Okay. Planning on making our way to Monaco over to Italy. Don%26#39;t know if I should start out in Paris and drive down to the Riviera. Or start in Barcelona drive over to Italy stopping off in Nice and Monaco on the way. Any recommendations? Because the time period we only want to do either or.






|||



The key fact you did not include in your post is : When ? also how many are you 2, 3 or 4 (since the greater number of people travelling together obviously justify more renting a car)?





generally speaking I would not drive between Paris and the Riviera or for that matter between Barcelona and Nice / Monaco. I would fly or take the train (TGV from Paris... and the overnight train from Barcelona).





Both Paris and Barcelona are beautiful cities with lots of things to do... if you are considering summer months, I would be more inclined towards Barcelona ... however during the November to April period I would recommend Paris.




|||



Also is important how many days are your affording for your starting city, 3 or 4 or less Barcelona, more than that then you can consider Paris which in size and sites is much more plentiful than Barcelona. I%26#39;m assuming you haven%26#39;t visit any of the two cities before.




|||



I like driving a car from both cities.





One important question you need to ask your car rental company is: Will they allow you to drive into Italy? When I tried a couple of years ago, I could not get thief insurance for Italy and the insurance for Italy was really expensive. They did tell me I could drive but on my dime if it was stolen. That could have changed in the last two years but I would check.





If it late spring when you are traveling I would go from Barcelona. You also might check and see how much the road tolls are from each. There is a web site that will calculate that.








|||



Via Michline can tell you how much it will cost in tolls and in gas, it will also tell you where the speed cameras are located.





If I could do either trip I would choose to start in Paris. We have driven from Paris to Florence (in November) and it was a lovely drive, although very long and EXPENSIVE, it would have been much cheaper to fly. The tolls are insane!





We spent a week in Barcelona in May and it was lovely but for me it really couldn%26#39;t compare with Paris..





Make sure to check the tolls.. they really add up (I think we spent about 200 round trip)




|||



Thanks. I never considered tolls.



The trip will start at the end of May and it will only be two of us.




|||



by the way the Via Michline is a great resource.




|||



Mappy.com is also a nice website for car traveling in Europe

No comments:

Post a Comment