Tuesday, April 24, 2012

How far is a "block"

Hi - keep reading about things being just a few %26quot;blocks%26quot; away - we don%26#39;t have blocks in Scotland - is a %26quot;block%26quot; a street? Oh and I still haven%26#39;t found a hotel - can see this being a last minute booking - I%26#39;m terrible - I just can%26#39;t decide - recent visitors who stayed in the 5th / 6th area - around 100e per night - any further advice than what%26#39;s already on the other questions............................




|||



Usually 10 blocks = +/- 1 mile, so in metric system one block is +/- 150 meters.




|||



I think one block does not have much meaning unless you live in some parts of Manhattan. Otherwise who knows ???



It%26#39;s just an expression that means not very far in Paris.



Ask kdksail for his list of left bank hotels. He is pretty right on.




|||



More on the subject, a block could be defined as the area which is delimited on all its sides by major streets, essentially making a block +/- square in shape.





Try Hotel Familia, it%26#39;s in the 5th, great location, small rooms but clean and nice hotel. If you take a room in the top floor with a balcony you can see the bell towers of Notre Dame. I wouldn%26#39;t take the breakfast rate.




|||



la_photographe is right blocks system is essentially a modern city charactheristic thus obviuosly doesn%26#39;t apply to Paris, at least old Paris.




|||



Yes it doesn%26#39;t really apply in Paris, in France, we say 100 or 200 metres as in Paris all streets are different! I think %26quot;blocks%26quot; is more american




|||



I%26#39;m pretty sure that you do have some sort of %26#39;block%26#39; system in more modern sections of Scot and English cities---with a %26#39;..block..%26#39; being the usual average distance from one street intersection to another. Obviously street lengths will vary somewhat but at a rough estimate, a %26#39;..block..%26#39; averages out to be approx. 100 meters. In moving about a city, a %26#39;..block..%26#39; is often a more useful %26#39;frame of reference%26#39; than more specific, linear distance measurement,,,,in that it supposes the vaguries of intersections, street crossings, turnings, pedestrian %26amp; vehicular traffic, etc. en route.





A few good hotel choices within these neighborhoods, in your 100 €uro price range might be--





http://www.hotel-paris-familia.com/



http://paris-hotel-grandbalcons.com/



http://www.hotel-de-saint-germain.com/



http://www.welcomehotel-paris.com/index.html



http://paris-hotel-louisdeux.com/










|||



Hi EvaG!





I do not live in a city so I was not aware of how long the blocks in Paris could be when I first went (quite a few years ago!).



They are very long compared to the area where I live.





I always get prepared at home a month before by taking 3-5 mile walks per day. The first time I was not prepared. At night I would awake with terrible calf muscle cramps from all the walking!





If you are on a bus be sure to watch for your stop. Do to the huge am crowd I missed my stop and had to walk back two very long blocks.

No comments:

Post a Comment