Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Musee Marmottan - Worth the Trip?

I will be in Paris in March of %26#39;06 and was wondering if anyone has an opinion on the Musee Marmottan, as I love Monet? What it is like? Whether it%26#39;s worth the trip?




|||



Then there are two MUST VISIT places that should be on your list--the MUSÉE d%26#39;ORSAY and the MUSÉE MARMOTTAN (not covered by the Carte Musée et Monuments pass). Unfortunately, Monet%26#39;s Home and Gardens at Giverny won%26#39;t re-open for the season until April 1st and l%26#39;ORANGERIE, with the eight, large, curved %26#39;..Les Nympheas..%26#39; panels is STILL CLOSED.




|||



Um, personally no. I%26#39;d go to the Musée d%26#39;Orsay for the Impressionists, then spend any spare time somewhere else. I guess it could be cos we went there soon after we%26#39;d been to the Turner, Monet, Whistler exhibition in London, and the Marmottan seemed a bit unstructured in comparison ...


I think you%26#39;ll find a lot of people will disagree with me ... not least a French guy we got talking to who reckoned it%26#39;s wonderful for the Medieval miniatures ;-)




|||



Thanks! Ignore my punctuation...it%26#39;s been a long day. I%26#39;ve been to D%26#39;Orsay before and definitely plan on returning. This will be my second trip to Paris and since I%26#39;m not going until March, I%26#39;m just starting to think of new places to go. Hoping I remember my French!




|||



If it%26#39;s your second trip and you%26#39;ve already been to the MO, I%26#39;d go to the Marmottan. I really like it.





Les




|||



If you love Monet, the Marmottan is well worth a visit - besides, if you are in Paris, going to the 16th arrondissement is hardly a %26quot;trip.%26quot; You could visit in the morning then have a splurge lunch at Le Pre Catelan in the Bois de Bologne or a divine Morrocan meal at Oum et Banine.




|||



If you stay on the Left Bank, you will probably be near the #63 bus line, whose last stop is about a 5-minute walk to the musee. It%26#39;s a beautiful old mansion; I agree with KDK that if you love Monet you will really like it.





Avenue de Mozart near-by, is full of cafes and shops.




|||



If you are a fan of Monet, you must visit the Marmottan to have a more complete understanding of the artist. The waterlilies in the lower level are a set.



They reflect the artist%26#39;s palette changes as his eyesight grew worse in later years. You can take the metro within a few blocks and walk across a small park with a carousel to the museum. Return the same way and stop at one of the cafes for coffeeor tea and pastries.




|||



Are you kidding me? The Marmottan is the BEST place to visit to see Monet%26#39;s work. It is a welcome relief from the madness and confusion that d%26#39;Orsay can sometimes be. There are many works that can be viewed in a serene, uncrowded environment.





Please note that the Marmottan does NOT accept the Museum Pass but they have healthy discounts for seniors, students, and faculty. No photos allowed.




|||



If you love Monet, as I do, by all means go to



the Marmatton. You might get a smattering



of his work at the D%26#39;Orsay but at the Marmatton



you are enveloped in his work.





Imagine sitting on a comfortable bench with a 40%26#39;



long Monet painting of the water lilies hanging



right in front of you !




|||



Randy......After your brilliant description, am adding the Marmottan to my MUSTS for our second trip to Paris. You%26#39;ve convinced me!

No comments:

Post a Comment