Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Interesting dinner experience at Spoon by Alain Ducasse

Wanted to share my experience at Spoon, a restaurant owned by Alain Ducasse the famous Chef, located near the Champs Elysées. This is the temple of what one can call New Fusion Cuisine.



We were 9, to celebrate a birthday. They prepared a nice table for us and they welcomed us warmly. (usually groups are not always welcomed in fancy restaurants).



We had a terrific glass of Deutz Champagne and it was served with a raddish soup in tiny vodka glasses and small dices of raw cod and herbs inside.



The menu was very original because for each category (starter, main dish and dessert) you choose the main ingredient, then in a list of different sauces then in a list of different vegetables. You can zig zag between the different columns, that%26#39;s fun.



As a starter I had a feef fillet gravelax with lemon mustard condiment. When I saw the plate I was a little disappointed because the fillet was cut in 5 or 6 very small pieces the size of a 2 euros coin. The sauce was also in a tiny vodka glass. But it was really very good and tasty. According to my husband, the hand-made pasta with pistou and marinated poultry was awesome. And the portion was quite big.



Then I had a pan seared tuna with satay sauce and wok sauteed vegetables. Soooo good!! My mother had the lobster, it was incredibly big, lots of flesh and truly excellent.





The wine was an incredible red bourgogne (a santenay). Really delicious. I was a bit drunk at the end of the meal.





Then the dessert : we all chose the top 5 (a selection of 5 desserts). Oh my God, if we had known we would have taken one per couple ! A delicious cheesecake that melts in your mouth, then a chocolate pizza, a chocolate and chestnut cake with orange sauce, a fudgy chocolate cake and I don%26#39;t remember the last one.



They offered to us 2 scoops of bubble gum and tagada (a famous strawberry candy) ice creams just to taste them. Reminded me of when I was 10.



For the birthday, they came with a giant meringue with a candle on top. And we had a giant meringue for each one of us!!



Just before leaving, they brought for each couple, a paper bag with home made cookies inside to take away.



We were absolutely full!!!





Truly a great experience, very good food, very nice staff. Pricey of course (200 euros per couple with champagne and wine) but worth it. And I had the opportunity to see a famous French singer for real, Marc Lavoine (youpi !) with his beautiful wife (yikes !).




|||



sounds wonderful! Spoon was recommended to me on my last trip, and I was sorry I didn%26#39;t get there....now I%26#39;m even more sorry I have only one day in Paris, Saturday.




|||



My wife and I and two of our friends had a similarily fun experience at Spoon a few years back.





Now that you mention them, I remember the meringues and the cookies. It sounds like they are still getting it right.




|||



Anneparis, makes me hungry just to read your post. Ever thought of becoming a food writer for one of the French/Parisian newspapers ?




|||



How easy was it to make a reservation and how far in advance should we try to do so?


Thanks




|||



We were very lucky and made the reservation one day in advance. But if you don%26#39;t want to take any risk you can reserve one or two weeks in advance.



By the way, the web address is : www.spoon.tm.fr




|||



yum




|||



Is this restaurant related to %26quot;spoon food and wine%26quot;?





Les




|||



Les,



Yes, it is actually %26quot;Spoon food and wine%26quot;.



And I forgot to say 2 important things :



the restaurant is quite small and there is a large window in a wall that allows us to see the kitchen. I love to watch the Chef and his helpers preparing the meals, and the kitchen was incredibly clean.



2nd very important thing : this restaurant is entirely NON SMOKING.




|||



Marc Lavoine, quelle chance!!!!!!!!And the food too, of course, but Marc Lavoine!!




|||



LOL Raphy, and I can tell you he looks really terrific. I had seen him on stage 2 years ago, but there I could almost touch him !



Well, maybe in another life...

No comments:

Post a Comment