Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Paris to Strasbourg

I will be traveling to Paris November 30 to December 7. We are planning an overnight trip to Strasbourg. Leaving Paris prob. on the 7ish AM train on one day and return on the following day mid morning. The christmas market and christmas lights etc. are the main reason we are traveling to Strasbourg.



I want to maximize my time in Paris and am wondering what thoughts you might have on the best days to go to Strasbourg. I am aware it is a 4 hour trip. The options we are considering are Sunday to Monday or Monday to Tuesday.



This is not a first trip to Paris for either of us. I am thinking the best for Stasbourg would be Sunday to Monday and appreciate whatever opinions you have.




|||



You might want to check what days the Christmas Markets are. If you also want to go to the museums in Strasbourg you might want to check and see if they are open on Monday.





It cost the same for the slow train as well as the plane (if I had reserved it 14 days in advance- that is what a travel agent in Paris told me). You might want to check the prices.





I did go by train and loved seeing the sites on the way.




|||



Discover is right about the train/plane pricing similarity. I regularly go to Brest (also 4 hours +, 800 km), but each time the plane is only 10 euros more than the train, so for a 50 mn flight vs 4 1/2 hours, I don%26#39;t hesitate. And this on good ol%26#39; Air France, not some dodgy low cost airline. If you book ahead (such as now), I think you don%26#39;t even need to spend a Saturday in Strasbourg to get the lowest fares on AF.





www.airfrance.fr (you might even get a deal if you fly from the States on AF).





Or you can wait two more years and ride on the then brand new TGV Est, that%26#39;ll bring you to Strasbourg in 2 1/2 hours!




|||



Bear in mind when comparing airfares to train fares, it%26#39;s also worth comparing the TOTAL amount of travel time and cost for each. The train usually runs city-center-to-city-center. Flying requires a transfer out to the airport as well as an additional time allowance at the airport for airline check-in and security. There will also be transfer time and expense to the arrival end as well. There%26#39;s often more to the cost-difference than just the fare price.




|||



Hey Bob! I was just remember and thinking about my stay in Brest yesterday funny you should have mentioned it!





I love that town! It has the best Ocean Museum! I had such a great time there! Partying on the port and the other port areas museums! Just loved that town!




|||



I forgot to mention if you take the train on Sunday. There used to be two trains. One made every stop and took longer and was cheaper and there also was the faster train (!) that took 4 1/2 hours and did not stop as much.





Also I could the bus to the train station on Sunday just remember they run on a different schedule on Sundays so be sure to check that out.





Does anyone know how far away the airport is in Strasbourg?



Next time (this spring) I want to fly.





Parisbaby2: Will you please post a report when you get back about the Christmas Markets? My cousin always sends me post cards/ photos of the one in Obernia. I really want to go some time ! Try the gingerbread there! It is fantastic!




|||



Yes, will definitely post a report when I return.





What I found so far is the Strasbourg airport is 10km from the Center of Strasbourg. There is a tram from the Center of Strasbourg to an Airport shuttle. They estimate 15 min. from the Center of Strasbourg to airport. Cost of the shuttle is 9.40 Euros round trip. They suggest arrival at the airport for travel within France 20minutes prior to boarding time(Must be an efficient airport).





Since yesterday though the fares have gone up on both the train and plane making the plane quite a bit more.




|||



Thanks Parisbaby2!





I will be looking for your review! Thanks also for the information about how far the airport is.





The tram is great! I love taking it around Strasbourg! When you are there also take the River boat ride and go to the Cathedrale and the Alsace Museum!





Have a wonderful time!

No comments:

Post a Comment