Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Where can I have black crepe in Paris?

I love crepes! I%26#39;m heading back to Paris in a few months. A friend took me once to have black crepe in a restaurant in Paris. I want to have it again but don%26#39;t know where to go?





Thanks in advance.




|||



It must be the crepe de sarrasin, any restaurant called %26quot;crêperie%26quot; in Montparnasse area (to the left when you have the station and tower in front of you) and the Sarrasin crêpe are the salted/main course ones.




|||



Raphy:



I thought the salty crepe (eg. with cheese etc..) was called a galette.... it is darker then the normal (sweet) crepe ... am I wrong on that ?




|||



To Sherif: Galette and Crêpe de sarrazin are almost synonyms




|||



They are actually totally synonymous, except that the %26quot;kosher%26quot; word is %26quot;galette%26quot;, made of sarrazin flour, whose colour is darker than the most common flour used in sweet crêpes. %26quot;Sarrazin%26quot; is an old French word that used to designate the Moors, ie the Arabs in the Middle Ages. Since they were darker skinned than French people, the non politically correct usage of the time quickly made %26quot;sarrazin%26quot; equivalent to %26quot;black%26quot;. You also find this in Cuba, where one of the national dishes is called %26quot;Moros y Cristianos%26quot;, because it mixes beans (dark= Moors) with rice (white = Christians).




|||



Raphy,



Is there a specific term for the brown crepes make from the buckwheat flour? I always think of these crepes as the more traditional Breton variety but I have never heard them refered to as sarazin or anything else




|||



I have always refered to them as crepe or galette de sarrazin, but i am not sure that it translates to buckwheat? You do find pancake mix in the supermarket to do Galettes de sarrazin, if it helps?




|||



More information: the crepe or galette de sarrasin (Brown crepe) is gluten-free




|||



Sherif, u seem like an expert on a lot of cities forums.



wats ur hotmail?



Rasha




|||



Rush2:





I am not an expert... just travelled a bit...





you can email me on advisor@skill-link.com

No comments:

Post a Comment